Friday, June 3, 2016

Thing 9: Databases & Search Tools

As I was looking to choose what to complete next "Databases and Search Tools" caught my eye. This year I started working with high school students again (it had been 12 years since I had)!  Topics and search skills will vary from elementary to secondary.  I read Do Your Students Know How to Search?  I thought to myself, no they don't.  What I found out was I don't either!  Yes, I know how to how to search and maybe better than my students but what I found out was that I too could use improvement!
  
I really enjoyed the article and the two video clips included in it!  The article was informative and I will most definitely pass on the  information to my students.  I can say that it made me a better searcher.  I Learned about "Filter Bubbles" and that Google News is a good place to access primary documents!!  This is very exciting!

Although I teach my students about DuckDuckGo and Sweet Search, I hadn't really looked for more search engines to see what they can do. Choosing this topic was a reminder about other options.  InstaGrok is interesting, I think I like it but the presentation is a little different so I have to get used to it. I am undecided if it would work well for my students, I need more time to decide!  And, yes I had to try THINGA and I have to say I really loved it! It's a nice little search tool for the youngsters.  There are lots of videos so it may be good to use as a reward after finishing a project or watch a video and see what kind of questions your students come up with!  From there they could begin some genuine inquiry and that could be so much FUN!!!

Can't wait to check out Scoop.It

Regarding "Articles & resources to Explore," I must say that the save directly option from GALE to Google School Apps is AWESOME!!  It really makes researching and saving articles so much easier!!  I love it and so do my students!

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear that you found so much useful info in this topic.

    ReplyDelete